Raw Food, Weight Gain


I know many people are interested in getting into eating a raw plant food based diet for the purposes of losing weight. Unfortunately, or some might say fortunately for me, I've always been underweight. I can't seem to ever put on weight no matter what I do. Now I am not sure what my body type is but I've always been slender. I'm about 6 feet tall and 170 pounds now. the most I ever was able to get to was about 175.

Working out
I have always been a pretty active and athletic person. Right after high school (when they stopped forcing me in gym class) I started working out about 3-5 days a week and have been doing so since. I believe we were not meant to be living such sendantary lives but because we have to (in our modern lifestyles) we have to do some things that compensate for that.

My routine
  • Workout 3-5 times a week
  • Cardio 2-3 days a week
  • Yoga or stretching 5-7 days a week.
  • Extra fun stuff whenever I can. Tennis, Surfing, Jiu Jitsu etc.

    My metabolism has always been sky high so I have always had trouble gaining weight. Then when I started eating raw foods I was really worried about dropping down to 140 pounds! I think alot of guys feel this way.

    Some keys to not losing too much weight
  • Eat alot if you have to
  • Eat lots of fats (while transitioning)
  • Take your time going to 100% raw. I know there's differing opinions but for me this was the best way. I took me 5 years!
  • Push it in the gym. Really start going beyond what you think you can lift.
  • Do a colonic. This will make you lose weight. Right now, you might not be able to absorb the protein you DO eat. This will flush you out and cause your absorbtion to be much higher.
  • Try to lie down after a hard workout. This is when the blood is circulating the most and wants to go directly to the muscles that just got torn.
  • Get plenty of sleep. Your body does a lot of the rebuilding of muscle while you are sleeping.

    For me I actually got stronger but lighter. I lost a few pounds, fortunately not too many but got stronger than I had ever been in my whole life. If you do it right you'll lose your dead weight but not your muscle.

    After doing a lot of reading on the subject and listening to many seminars I've come up with a list of some high protein foods that will help you to not only not lose with but will help you put on some raw muscle! :)

    Some foods that will help you to gain weight while eating raw.

  • Goji Berries (Contains 21 essential amino acids)
  • Bee Pollen (Very high in protein)
  • Spirulina (Highest protein food in the world at around 60%)
  • Maca (Good for strength and endurance)
  • Oranges
  • MSM (Helps rebuild connective tissue and minimize soreness so you can workout even more)
  • Hemp Powder (Very high in protein)
  • Cordyceps (1,000 millagrams 45 prio to workout on empty stomach. Great for endurance)
  • Milk Thistle (Helps to more fully utilize and absorb the protein you DO eat)
  • Marine Phytoplankton
  • Angstron Chromium
  • Crill Oil
  • Wild Coconuts
  • Blue Green Algae
  • Chorella
  • Lots of greens (Greens build blood and blood becomes muscle)
  • Flax Seeds
  • Oat Groats
  • Pine Nuts
  • Buckwheat Groats

    So check these foods out and if you like all of them, then try them all if you like only some then see which ones agree with you. But this should help you get started in trying to get that muscle back on and get stronger while eating raw!


  • 3 Comments:

    Anonymous said...

    What about fats in you list of foods to help gain? Wouldn't an avocado a day and olives or nuts or oils daily in the diet do that? And what about carbs like winter sqaushes?

    Salon Center said...

    Yes I do 1 or 2 avocados a day. I was listing foods that have more of a repairative quality to them. Olives are nice too because they are one of the fattiest fruits and are the most mineral rich of all fruits I believe. :) Squashes are excellent too.

    Unknown said...

    Great info here Justin. Thanks so much!